Back in September of 2009 I made two bathtub worm farms as I needed to increase my stock of tiger worms. Sales of my worms farms via the “Garden Shop” and Trade Me were going extremely well, however the demand had created a major problem.
Simply put, not enough worms.
Most folk don’t want to purchase a farm without worms as that would be akin to buying a car only to discover that the gas tank is empty.
Once the bath tubs had become operational all seemed to going to plan and I believed that any worm production issues would soon be a thing of the past. I had also purchased a third bath tub which would help to further increase the worm population. Little did I know that a few months later things would go totally awry.
The first signs of trouble appeared when the tape I used to secure the weed mat to the sides of the bath started to come away. This happened due to a build up of moisture and hence the worms found their way into the bottom of the bath. Once in this area there was no way they could return to their food source and bedding above.
At this stage I realised that things would need to be changed as the worms were not staying where I wanted them and many were drowning in their own juice.
If you wish to see how the farm was originally put together it’s all detailed in this earlier post. It will also makes it easier to understand what I’m rambling about!
As shown below the problem was solved by using a larger piece of weed mat. This now meant that the upper part of the bath was escape proof.
Now the worms stay where they’re meant to and once again all is well down on “the farm”. Currently the tiger worms are producing about 5.9 litres of worm juice per week, all of which is used in the vegetable garden.
My motivation for writing this post is that others may have made a bath tub worm farm in a similar fashion and be experiencing the same problem. Hopefully this helps to set the record straight.